1. What is a health certificate?
a) A health certificate, or Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), is an official document issued by a USDA-accredited veterinarian certifying that your pet has been inspected and found to satisfy the regulations pertaining to their intended destination – within the same state, between states, or internationally. These requirements are to help ensure the animal meets the physical health criteria for their own safe travels and does not carry illnesses or parasites that would be harmful to the people or animals in the destination area.
2. What do I need to do to travel with my pet?
a) The destination state or country sets the requirements for pet travel. Go to the USDA’s Pet Travel website, https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel, to find out what’s required for your trip.
3. My airline said I don’t need a health certificate.
a) Beware! The airlines can only tell you their requirements for travel, not the requirements of your destination. Always check the USDA’s Pet Travel website, https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel, in addition to checking with your airline.
4. When should I start looking into travel requirements?
a) As soon as possible! Some destinations require months of testing and planning before allowing entry. Always research health certificate requirements before booking transportation or accommodations.
5. What is the deposit for?
a) Due to the extensive preparation needed for each health certificate, a deposit is required to secure the appointment slot. This deposit will be applied to the total cost of the health certificate as long as you show up for your appointment.
6. Can I get my deposit back if I cancel or reschedule my appointment?
a) ***We can refund your deposit in full only if you cancel your appointment within 24 hours of scheduling.***
b) If you choose to cancel your appointment after 24 hours, the deposit is forfeit and cannot be applied to future visits.
c) If you don't show up for your scheduled appointment, the deposit is forfeit and cannot be applied to future visits.
d) You may reschedule your appointment at any time without forfeiting the deposit, but after 24 hours it cannot be refunded, only left as a credit on your account. That credit can only be applied toward a health certificate to the original destination and must be done within 30 days of the original appointment. It cannot be applied to any other products or services.
7. I just brought my pet in for an exam recently. Why do I have to bring them in again?
a) For a health certificate to be valid, the veterinarian is required to examine the pet the same day they sign the certificate. We didn’t make this rule, and it is not something we can circumvent.
8. How much does a health certificate cost?
a) It varies! Some destinations have relatively simple requirements, whereas some are complex, requiring months of planning. Our health certificates are split into tiers based on complexity. Please see the Pricing & Fees section below.
Pricing & Fees
*Note: These prices cover the physical exam and health certificate. They do not include any testing, vaccinations, treatments, or additional documents required by the airline or destination. For a more comprehensive estimate, fill out an inquiry form (below), and we will get back to you within 2 business days.
Tier 1: The continental US (NOT Hawaii), Puerto Rico, Canada, & Mexico
- Deposit: $30
- Cost for physical exam & health certificate: $158
Tier 2: International travel, except Tier 3 destinations
- Deposit: $75
- Cost for physical exam & health certificate: $220 + the USDA’s endorsement fee*
Tier 3: Australia, Hawaii, Iceland, UK, New Zealand, United Arab Emirates, & Japan
- Deposit: $95
- Cost for physical exam & health certificate: $270 + the USDA’s endorsement fee*
- Note: These destinations have strict and complex requirements for travel. We strongly recommend only traveling to these countries with your pet if you are relocating, not for short visits or vacation.
*The USDA’s endorsement fees can be found here: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/pet-travel-info-and-guidance-document/pet-travel-endorsement
Other Fees & Discounts
- Rush fee: If you need to schedule a health certificate visit within 1 business day, there will be an additional $52 fee added onto the cost of the certificate.
- Repeat discount: If we’ve completed a health certificate for your pet within the past year, as long as the origin & destination haven’t changed, we can discount the next health certificate by 10%.
- Additional Tier 2 or 3 health certificate for a second pet or second destination: $158
- Additional (non-health certificate) travel documents: $31/ea